All of our Esbats are listed on our Calendar – 2016 – Year At A Glance:
Esbats are the Full Moons, New Moons, Blood Moons, Blue Moons, Black Moons and Sidhe Moons which we as Witches of the NYC Wiccan Family Temple celebrate for each year.
Special moon events in 2016
- Blue Moon on Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM (third Full Moon in a season with four Full Moons)
- Super Full Moon occurs on Monday, November 14, 2016 at 8:52 AM
- Micro New Moon occurs on Friday, April 22, 2016 at 1:23 AM
What are Black Moons?
Ritual Significance – Sidhe Moon
Black Moons hold special significance to people who practice certain forms of Pagan religions and who believe certain actions become more potent when performed on the night of a Black Moon.
There is No Single Definition
There is no single accepted definition of a Black Moon. The term has been commonly used to refer to any of the following phenomena associated with the New Moon:
- Second New Moon in a calendar month: These Black Moons occur relatively often – once every 2.5 years.
- Third new moon in a season of four New Moons: Astronomers divide a year into four seasons – spring, summer, fall (autumn), and winter. Usually, each season has 3 months and 3 New Moons. When a season has 4 New Moons, the 3rd New Moon is called a Black Moon.
- A calendar month without a New Moon: This can only happen in the month of February. When this occurs, January and March will have two New Moons, instead of the usual one New Moon.
- A calendar month without a Full Moon: About once every 19 years, the month of February does not have a Full Moon. Instead, January and March have two Full Moons each. The next Black Moon by this definition will occur in February 2018.